by Chef Colombe
This stevia-sweetened, sugar-free meringue is just right for topping fruit bars and granola. Make cookies out of it for those times when you feel like you need a bit of a sweet treat.
Yield: 48 cookies
5 egg whites
⅛ teaspoon organic, whole-leaf stevia powder
¼ plus ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Beat egg whites to the point that they just begin to form soft peaks.
- Slowly add powdered stevia leaves while continuing to beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
At this point, you have the meringue you would use for topping our Key Lime Bars. To make Meringue Cookies, continue:
- Preheat oven to 215°F.
- Line two baking stones or cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Spoon drops of beaten egg whites onto prepared stones or cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 2 hours or until cookies barely begin to brown.
- Turn off oven and leave cookies in warm oven to brown to desired color.